Second Presbyterian Church is a family of believers committed to worshiping, loving, and serving God.
We love God and seek to love each other and this world in His name.
We are Reformed, evangelical, and members of the EPC denomination, all of which you can learn more about below. Second was founded in 1844 and is deeply rooted in the history of Memphis. Our current location at Poplar and Goodlett is our third home, but throughout our more than 150 years we have been:
- A Presbyterian church standing squarely in the Reformed confessional tradition, governed by elders (the Session), and possessing a heart-felt commitment to live for the glory of God.
- A worshiping church, joyfully seeking to bring glory and honor to our God.
- An evangelical church, preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and holding to the full authority of the Bible as the Word of God in all its parts, without error in all it teaches, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- In 1989, Second voted to join the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) denomination and we gladly participate in the leadership, support and growth of our denomination.
- A caring church, aiming to become a fellowship of believers in Jesus Christ, a family of faith in which all who trust Christ can find a spiritual home.
- A witnessing church, calling individuals to personal commitment to Jesus Christ and maintaining a strong Christian testimony at home and abroad.
- A ministering church, serving people and meeting human needs in the name of Christ.