What's Your Gift? God calls us to serve others because he first served us (Mark 10:45) Do you have the gift of evangelism, prophecy, teaching, encouraging, pastoring/shepharding, mercy showing, giving, serving or leading? Find and begin using those gifts to serve God. Click the tab to the left to begin discovering your gifts today.
Our Volunteer Ministries booklet is available to you online. Click on the link below. Inside you will find a full list of various service opportunities both at Second and with our ministry partners.
Ways to Begin Serving Today
Growing Place Library: we need people for 1-2 hours at a time (10am-12, 11am-1 or pm1-3) on Monday-Thursdays. Someone could come once a week or more often if they like. The work will include checking inventory, re-shelving books & changing the sticker labels on the side of books.
Chancel Guild: If you love arrangement or creativity, this group arranges the beautiful flowers in the Sanctuary and all around the church weekly. Contact Kim Blankenship at or Eileen Wood at
New Baby Ministry: Visit a new mother, deliver a baby bag and pray with her. Sponsored by our Children's Ministry of 2PC. Contact Dylan Franklin for details at
Ministry Partners Volunteer Opportunities
An addition in serving the under resourced seniors of our community, from the MIFA Meals On Wheels program, is the “shelf-stable box”. This is a new option that provides pantry items once a week, and allows people to receive the boxes just about any day of the week, and at any time. MIFA has established five new Saturday delivery routes, and looking to add more soon. This is a great service opportunity for families or young adults who can’t make it to MIFA on weekdays. Contact Kim Blankenship at
Church Health Center
Nutrition Kitchen Rental Event: Saturday, February 20th, 8:00am-10:00am-Church Health Center Wellness. Volunteer will assist staff with Kitchen Rental Clients. This is a one Saturday a month opportunity.Please contact Yvonne Laird at
to sign up for this opportunity.
Memphis Union Mission
The MUM has many extra mouths to feed it puts a strain on the kitchen and pantry! Please consider shopping and dropping by the MUM these items or send a check to them to cover the cost of these items: coffee, sugar, cereal, instant potatoes, canned peas, salad dressings, jellies, hot sauce, napkins.
Multi-National Ministry is a Christian outreach that serves refugees and immigrants who need help understanding and acclimating to this culture. We need help on THURSDAY'S with Homework Help
- Helping Elementary-aged (PreK-5th Grade) Multi-National kids do their homework and practice basic math skills (Really easy and fun!)
- At Multi-National Ministries – 1548 Poplar – East Entrance off of Willet
- 4:00-5:00 pm (If you could get here by 3:45 that would be great, but 4:00 is just fine)
- We try to keep the student to Tutor ratio to be no greater than 3-4 kids to every tutor….but really need more volunteers!
Emmanuel Episcopal Center
- Monthly Birthday Club: Volunteers bring food (like cupcakes and fruit) and drinks (like punch) for about 170 kids on a weekday afternoon at about 4:30-5:00 to get ready. They also bring a little extra treat for the kids who will be celebrating their birthdays (about 20 kids)--like a personalized birthday poster and a button or ribbon, not a present. (No presents please!) At 5:30, we sing the birthday song, present treat, and serve the food before dismissal at 6:00. The parties mean so much to the kids. The parties take place on any Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- New MIFA Saturday routes: MIFA deliveries have traditionally been in the mornings, Monday through Friday. MIFA is starting “Saturday box routes.” MIFA volunteers will deliver a 7-lb box of grocery shelf items to seniors on Saturdays. This opens up service possibilities for families, people who work during the week, and others who cannot volunteer during weekdays. Delivery route will usually include 10-12 seniors. Call Trina Jones at MIFA, 901-529-4525.
- 38111 MIFA Saturday High Rise route: MIFA needs volunteers who can deliver a 7-lb grocery box to seniors in two (2) near-by high rise apartments; both are within 4 miles of the Second Pres church campus. volunteers can deliver on a weekday or Saturday, whichever works best for them. Call Trina Jones at MIFA, 901-529-4525.
On Going Needs
Urban Young Life, YoungLives Program
Ministry to young moms is growing and more schools are calling for UYL to impact the population of teen moms in our public schools. Through UYL ministry young moms are making some positive decisions that are healthy for them and their babies. Our job training program has allowed UYL to place 2 teen moms at Chick fil A on Union whose partnering with us in ministry to provide jobs. Contact Danita Calhoun at .
- Mentors to mentor teen moms
- Baby Bucks Store, Continual Need diapers all sizes, baby and female hygiene products, boys and girls clothing for infants up to 4 toddlers, baby beds, blankets, towels, children’s books, Bibles (ESV or version they can understand), bouncers, pack & plays.
- Sponsorship for summer camp July 29, 2015-August 3, 2015 in Goshen, VA. Ten (10) teen moms and babies are going.
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, "What are you doing for others?" Martin Luther King, Jr
Disaster Relief Training Audio Presented by Brent Stenberg