Ways to Begin Serving Today
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. Galatians 5:13
Immediate Summer Volunteer Needs
Su Casa Family Ministries
Director: Tim Jewett
Mailing Address: 4899 Summer Avenue, Suite 101 PMB #109, Memphis, TN 38122
Physical Address: 1302 N. Graham, Memphis, TN 38122
Phone: (901) 320-9833
Su Casa Ministry ministers to Hispanic families primarily in the Berclair,-Kingsbury area by providing ESL classes for adults and several programs for children. Su Casa offers Zumba classes, Bible studies, and summer programs. Su Casa is closely connected with Esperanza Church.
- Summer SuperVacas Summer Camp and Ladies Activities - We are kicking off our summer activities at Su Casa and need supplies and volunteers. Camp runs 5 weeks, Mondays thru Thursdays, 8:30am-12pm from June 9th thru July 10th.
- Supplies needed: Hand Sanitizer, Clorox Wipes, Lysol Disinfectant Spray, Tissues, Baby Wipes, Paper Towels, Construction Paper, Gold Fish, Individual packs of Chips / Doritos, Fruit Snacks, Cookies, Graham Crackers, Lemonade Mix, General Snacks (for Kids and Amazing Ladies Classes)
To volunteer or help in any way, email Donna at . Visit our website for more information. Click here for to See More
Service Over Self
Director: Philip Walkley
Address: 2505 Poplar Ave., Memphis, TN 38112
Service over Self is a neighborhood restoration ministry which equips and disciples high school and college students. SOS campers rehabilitate homes and minister to families in the Orange Mound, Binghampton and Alcy Ball neighborhood.
- SOS114 2PC Adopt-a-Week July 6 – 11, Volunteer anytime during the week to help with kitchen duty, daily prayer, Popsicle delivery or Friday night dinner. This is a great summer opportunity for Sunday School classes, friends and individuals. Click here for more information on Volunteer Job Descriptions.
Ministry Partners Summer Volunteer Opportunities
Brinkley Heights Urban Academy
Director: Tim Cox
Address: 3275 Rosamond Ave, Memphis, TN 38122
BHUA is a a private Christian School for high-risk urban children serving neighborhoods described as Mitchell Heights, Brinkley Heights, and Nutbush. Presently, the school provides instruction for 3 kindergarten levels and grades one through seven.
- Mission teams to come in and run Back Yard Bible Clubs in the spring and summer
Director: Roy “Soup” Campbell
Address: 3000 Walnut Grove, Memphis, TN 38111
Eikon Ministries works in the Binghampton and Orange Mound areas. Many 2PC families participate in Nathan Street Ministries, one of its more active programs. Children from ages 5-18 attend Bible study and club meetings. Eikon leaders serve in most Binghampton schools (Lester, Brewster, and East). Eikon promotes mentoring relationships for children and seeks to equip children with resources in leadership, biblical teaching, life skills, and financial literacy.
- Help with the Leadership program of our VOBS summer jobs program in April, May, June and July
For the Kingdom Camp and Retreat Center
Director: Lewie Polk
Address: 4100 Raleigh – Millington Rd., Memphis, TN 38128
FTK provides a safe, fun, and challenging camping environment for evangelism, discipleship, character building, and recreation for under-resourced urban youth in the Mid-South. FTK also provide resources to social and business sector leaders with a quality conference option that will facilitate the mission. Its principal focus is proving ministry week-long evangelistic summer camps. Throughout the year, students from neighboring schools find their way to our campus after school.
- Craft/hobby Instruction Volunteer – Volunteer during the summer so campers will have the opportunity for exposure to making and decorating craft items, or engaging in a leisure activity that is new to them. The exact list of options available each week will depend on the interests and skills of volunteers and summer staff, 2 or 3 days each week, craft times will be during the late morning or early afternoon on weekdays during FTK camps.
- Activity Volunteer – Volunteer to assist with golf, tennis, fishing, or Frisbee golf.
Leadership Empowerment Center
Director: Marron Thomas
Address: 3925 Overton Crossing, Memphis, TN 38127
LEC works with children of all ages from many of the schools in the Frayser area. There are afterschool programs which seek to develop youth spiritually, academically, and economically and also sports and recreation team programs. Through this ministry, Marron Thomas has also planted a church – Innovation Church.
- Summer Program Volunteer- teachers, kitchen help, sports coaches
Neighborhood Christian Centers, Inc.
Program Director: Pam Cox
Address: 785 Jackson, Memphis, TN 38104
NCC focus is to build stronger families and neighborhoods by providing compassionate, Christ-centered ministries to those in need. Its vision is to “change generations… one life at a time.” NCC serves approximately 70,000 men, women and children through a continuum of programs and services ranging from infants to the elderly. The NCC is one of the primary contacts for Second and many churches and organizations for emergency needs, which include food, clothing, counseling, etc.
- Youth Multi-Media Ministries (YM3) Volunteer – YM3 is a unique five-week summer camp for Middle School youth to learn video production skills including storyboarding, characterization, stage presentation, filming, and editing as well as leadership, teamwork, arts and crafts, and problem solving. Volunteer support is needed throughout the camp. Volunteers with video production skills or those in applicable professions are especially valuable as guest speakers and mentors.
- Recreation assistants for after-school and summer camp activities
- Assistants with NCC special events - Summer Camps (June-July)
Orange Mound Outreach Ministries
Director: Rev. Reggie Tucker or Mary Tucker
Address: 845 Marechalneil St., Memphis, TN 38114
OMOM, which focuses on the Orange Mound neighborhood, strives to teach youth about God, Education, Respect, and Self Control. OMOM provides a safe place for youth to congregate every day after school. There are 3 discipleship programs based upon age of the participants. Volunteers assist with programs and provide meals.
- June-August 2014-Summer Camp volunteers needed
MTR Camp - (Memphis Teacher Residency)
Summer Contact: Alison Martin
Camp location: Binghampton Christian Academy, 175 N. Tilman
Our greatest volunteer need again this summer is food and meals for the 20 amazing college staff that will dedicate their summer to Cornerstone Prep students. MTR will provide the summer staff meals during their summer employment (seven weeks). Summer staff will live at Binghampton Christian Academy (BCA, formerly The Neighborhood School).
Below are the sign-ups for food donations this summer. You are one of the first I've sent the forms to because I want you to be able to identify the timing that will work best for you and/or your church. If there is a week or two where you would like to cover all food for the week, please just tell me what week(s) and I will cross them off the list.
- MTRCamp: Breakfast/Lunch Groceries Sign-Up.These are listed individually so you can provide whatever you see fit. Groceries need to be dropped off at BCA on Sunday afternoon.
- MTRCamp: Dinner Ingredients Sign-Up. This is designed for people to volunteer as a group, i.e. Sunday Schools, Book Clubs, neighbors, Bible Studies, etc. Groups can claim a meal together. This is organized so Camp staffers can cook their meals together. Groceries need to be dropped off at BCA every Sunday afternoon.
- MTRCamp: Community Dinners Sign-Up. These are ready-to-eat meals for 25 people on Monday and Wednesday evenings before planned events. Meals need to be delivered to the Binghampton Development Corporation (280 Tillman) by 5pm on Monday or Wednesday evenings. Make it or cater it, whatever you prefer!
- MTRCamp: Family Dinner Sign-Up. Sunday night is family time at MTRCamp. MTRCamp college staff and MTR staff share a meal and rest together before the busy week. This is a prepared or catered meal by volunteers for 35 members of the MTR family. Please deliver by 4:30pm to Binghampton Christian Academy (175 N Tillman).
Interim Director: Reggie Davis
Downtown Location: 430 Vance Ave, Memphis, TN 38122
Graham Heights Location: 1304 N. Graham, Memphis, TN 38122
Streets serves kids ages 8-20 living in two areas, downtown on Vance Avenue and in the Graham Heights neighborhood. Streets provides a safe place to hang out, meet a friend, and be welcomed with an unconditional love based in Jesus Christ. Streets has developed a wide variety of educational, mentoring, and athletic programs.
- Care Packages - Streets takes top students on a college tour each spring, sends over 70 kids to a weeklong camp each summer, and helps nearly 100 kids with back to school supplies. We try to provide our students with a care package when they are participating in the events listed above. We provide the list, and you can shop for the needed supplies.
YMOT Outreach Ministries, Inc.
Director: Patrick Simmons
Address: P.O. Box 901373, Memphis, TN 38190-0373
YMOT works with at-risk youth to make wise decisions, improve their behavior, raise academic standards and improve their physical fitness. The ministry focuses on youth in South Memphis in the Lakeview Gardens / Whitehaven Community.
- Summer Day Camp Volunteer - Help pass out lunches, assist with games, crafts and activities Mon - Fri- 11:00a- 1:00p
Youth Striving for Excellence
Director: C. Pearl Lee
Address: P.O. Box 80321, Memphis, TN 38108
YSE focus primarily in the North Memphis Area - Frayser, Raleigh, Hollywood, and Douglass communities. YSE conducts Bible studies, builds self-respect, and promotes sexual abstinence and academic excellence.
- Summer Enrichment Instructors – teach classes in cooking, dancing, sewing, arts & crafts, needlepoint, woodwork, recreational and choir (June & July). Sessions will be held in lieu of Monday club; approximately 4 sessions
Presented by Brent Stenberg