Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Our Volunteer Ministries booklet is available to you online. Click on the link below. Inside you will find a full list of various service opportunities both at Second and with our ministry partners.
Ways to Begin Serving Today
Growing Place Library: we need people for 1-2 hours at a time (10am-12, 11am-1 or pm1-3) on Monday-Thursdays. Someone could come once a week or more often if they like. The work will include checking inventory, re-shelving books & changing the sticker labels on the side of books.
Chancel Guild: If you love arrangement or creativity, this group arranges the beautiful flowers in the Sanctuary and all around the church weekly. Contact Kim Blankenship at or Eileen Wood at
New Baby Ministry: Visit a new mother, deliver a baby bag and pray with her. Sponsored by our Children's Ministry of 2PC. Contact Dylan Franklin for details at
Ministry Partners Volunteer Opportunities
SOS114 Service Week
- SOS hosts week-long camps in the inner city of Memphis and volunteers partner with economically disadvantaged families to make repairs to their homes. Churches serve the SOS staff, so they can be more focused on the campers and neighbors, by performing various service opportunities.
- 2PC's week of service to SOS Orange Mound is Sun-Fri, June 26-July 1. Site of SOS114 is based out of St. Matthews UMC at 1362 S Prescott, 38111. Please go to this link to sign up for nightly kitchen duty, Popsicle delivery, Friday picnic dinner or daily prayer: Descriptions are given on this link as well: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054dafab2ca5f85-second
Neighborhood Christian Center
- Volunteers are needed to assist with our Summer Reading Program to read and enhance reading skills of our youth. June 6 - July 1; 10:00 am - 10:45 am 1=1:45pm
- Volunteers are needed to assist with day camp activities, which includes arts/crafts, reading, field trips, etc. Summer Day Camp (various locations) 9 am - 2 pm
- Volunteer opportunity for ages 10 and up to assist with Food Distribution for families from the NCC Mobile Market Wednesday, June 8, 22, 29 from 12 noon - 2 pm. ***2PC Distribution Dates: July 13th and 20th (Central Parking lot): Volunteers arrive by 9:00am – 12:00n - 25-30 volunteers to actually package the food and give it to the families that come to pick up food.
- Volunteers are needed to assist with decorations and serving dinner at event. YM3 Premiere Event Thursday, July 7th from 7 pm - 9 pm A red carpet affair showcasing youth from our summer media program.
- Speakers needed for Summer Programs: Career Professionals (i.e., Real Estate Brokers, Investment Bankers, Doctors, Nurses, Entrepreneurs, Politicians, etc.), Evangelism speakers for intensive training, Motivational Speakers, Media Professionals
Contact Pamela Cox at or call us at 901-881-6013.
Church Health Center
- Nutrition Kitchen Rental Event: Saturdays, once a month from 8:00am-10:00am-Church Health Center Wellness. Volunteer will assist staff with Kitchen Rental Clients. This is a one Saturday a month opportunity.Please contact Yvonne Laird at to sign up for this opportunity.
Christ Community Church
Urban Community Ministries, part of the outreach of CCC is committed to making a difference in the Memphis community.We are gearing up for our 2016 Summer Safe Haven Camp. The camp will run eight weeks, June 6 - July 28. Each week there will be a field trip to some of the local area kid friendly activities. Volunteers, donations for the cost of each camper or meals are much needed and appreciated.
- Rules/Devotion Time
- Gardening Time/Outside Playtime (weather permitting)
- Academic Enrichment Time (Math/Reading Skills alternating weeks)
- Computer Time
- Arts/Crafts or Music/Choir
This year’s camp will culminate with a VBS the last week followed by our Back2School Rally with music, fun, and school supply give away on July 30. Contact Donna Walker at or 901-577-0929
Memphis Union Mission
- The MUM has many extra mouths to feed it puts a strain on the kitchen and pantry! Please consider shopping and dropping by the MUM these items or send a check to them to cover the cost of these items: coffee, sugar, cereal, instant potatoes, canned peas, salad dressings, jellies, hot sauce, napkins.
Emmanuel Episcopal Center
- Monthly Birthday Club: Volunteers bring food (like cupcakes and fruit) and drinks (like punch) for about 170 kids on a weekday afternoon at about 4:30-5:00 to get ready. They also bring a little extra treat for the kids who will be celebrating their birthdays (about 20 kids)--like a personalized birthday poster and a button or ribbon, not a present. (No presents please!) At 5:30, we sing the birthday song, present treat, and serve the food before dismissal at 6:00. The parties mean so much to the kids. The parties take place on any Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
- New MIFA Saturday routes: MIFA deliveries have traditionally been in the mornings, Monday through Friday. MIFA is starting “Saturday box routes.” MIFA volunteers will deliver a 7-lb box of grocery shelf items to seniors on Saturdays. This opens up service possibilities for families, people who work during the week, and others who cannot volunteer during weekdays. Delivery route will usually include 10-12 seniors. Call Trina Jones at MIFA, 901-529-4525.
- 38111 MIFA Saturday High Rise route: MIFA needs volunteers who can deliver a 7-lb grocery box to seniors in two (2) near-by high rise apartments; both are within 4 miles of the Second Pres church campus. volunteers can deliver on a weekday or Saturday, whichever works best for them. Call Trina Jones at MIFA, 901-529-4525.
- In addition in serving the under resourced seniors of our community, from the MIFA Meals On Wheels program, is the “shelf-stable box”. This is a new option that provides pantry items once a week, and allows people to receive the boxes just about any day of the week, and at any time. MIFA has established five new Saturday delivery routes, and looking to add more soon. This is a great service opportunity for families or young adults who can’t make it to MIFA on weekdays. Contact Kim Blankenship at
On Going Needs
Urban Young Life, YoungLives Program
Ministry to young moms is growing and more schools are calling for UYL to impact the population of teen moms in our public schools. Through UYL ministry young moms are making some positive decisions that are healthy for them and their babies. Our job training program has allowed UYL to place 2 teen moms at Chick fil A on Union whose partnering with us in ministry to provide jobs. Contact Danita Calhoun at .
- Mentors to mentor teen moms
- Baby Bucks Store, Continual Need diapers all sizes, baby and female hygiene products, boys and girls clothing for infants up to 4 toddlers, baby beds, blankets, towels, children’s books, Bibles (ESV or version they can understand), bouncers, pack & plays.
- Sponsorship for summer camp July 29, 2015-August 3, 2015 in Goshen, VA. Ten (10) teen moms and babies are going.
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, "What are you doing for others?" Martin Luther King, Jr
Disaster Relief Training Audio Presented by Brent Stenberg