Ways to Begin Serving Today
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. Galatians 5:13
God calls us to serve others because he first served us (Mark 10:45).Here are some immediate needs for you to consider how to best use your gifts. Please or call (901) 454-0034, ext 165 to learn more about how you can help.
Opportunities within the Church
Children’s Ministry Volunteer
- Nursery- working with birth-4 year olds. This commitment can be once a month or every week at either the 8, 9:45 or 11 hour.
- PK, JK, SK- working with children during the Sunday School hour. This commitment is every other week. Contact Kirsten Kirkpatrick (Birth-5 years)
- 1st-5th- small group leader during the Sunday School hour. This commitment is every week for the school year (holidays off). Contact MJ Keasling (1st-5th grades)
- Connect- Wednesday night group for 2nd-5th grades. This commitment is from 6:10-7:30 on Wednesday nights. You will be assigned an age group and supervise/hang out with them. Contact Dylan Franklin
Join our Hospitality team and greet for one of our Sunday morning worship times for one Sunday a month. We ask for at least a one year commitment.
As we gear up for the fall, we are seeking people who are available at least one Sunday a month to help advance slides during our 6:00pm worship service. Responsibilities include showing up 15 minutes before the service and counting attendance while the service is in progress. Familiarity with Macs and Keynote/Powerpoint are preferred, but not required. We will work with your schedule.
Did you know that those wonderful wafers we share at each of our communion worship services are homemade by members of Second Presbyterian church? All it takes is a little baking ability and a lot of love to bake wafers for our church’s communion services. If you are interested in finding out more about this wonderful ministry contact Kim for the recipe and details.
Read to a PDO class any Monday or Wednesday anytime between 10:00a – 12:00p. Contact Mo in the Library at or 901-454-0034 ext.134
Opportunities with Ministry Partners
- Team Read Volunteer - August 21, Thursday, Room C310 at from 11am to 1pm we will have training for anyone interested in knowing about our TEAM READ program at Berclair for 2nd Graders. Our goal is to get 1 coach (tutor) per student so we need you. Come and see how easy the program is to initiate and join the team.
- Garden Helpers - Berclair has 2 gardens that we developed in order to teach the children about nutrition and growing your own foods. If you love to garden or have a little time on your hands join our gardening team led by member Cheryl Converse.
- Classroom Volunteers – Volunteer to work with a teacher to assist with requested classroom needs.
- Please contact Kim at
SuCasa Family Ministries
- Children’s Helper - We are anticipating around 300 individuals to register for our ESL (English as a second language) classes at SuCasa. We need helpers beginning August 26th on Tuesday and Thursday’s from 9:15am-10:45am and/or from 6:30-8pm. Please contact Emily at 901-320-9833 or email .
World Relief – Memphis
- Team Volunteer - World Relief needs volunteers to assist refugees in Memphis. They rely heavily upon volunteers to respond to both physical and spiritual needs such as being a Good Neighbor Team, teaching English or helping set up their clients’ apartments. No experience necessary. Training will be offered Monday, August 11 from 6:30-8:30 pm at World Relief’s office (2181 Union Ave, 38104) and then again on September 9 and October 2. Please contact Kate at 901-341-0220 or email .
- Streets Ministry Volunteer - If you can help in a homework lab, mentor a student, any afternoon, or provide snacks to the members of their youth groups meeting on Monday, Thursday or Friday afternoon and evening, at either location. Please contact Beth at 901-525-7380 or email .
- Mentoring Volunteer - Mentors are needed to build relationships and encourage participants enrolled in the jobs training and financial literacy classes. Faith & Finance Classes are Aug. 14-Nov. 6. Jobs for Life Class are Sept. 10-Oct. 17.
- Dinner or Lunch Provider – If you like to cook or just want to serve, volunteers could provide dinner or lunch for classes participants. Please contact Amanda at 901-543-8525 ext. 14 or email
Repairing the Breach
- Homework Helpers – Volunteers needed to help students in the Alcy Ball community in after school program. Focus is on homework help/tutoring, character development and recreational play. We will need volunteers to help with all subjects and grades. Monday – Thursday, between 4pm-7pm. Location: KIPP Memphis Prep Middle, 2230 Corry Road, Memphis 38114. Please contact Anquanita at 901-474-5709 or email .
Refugee Empowerment Program
- ESL Teachers and Children’s Helper - We serve refugee families in Memphis and provide ESL (English as a second language) classes at REP. We need teachers and helpers beginning August 26th Mon-Fri from 10am-11:30a and 5:30p-7:00p, flexible Please contact Cam at 901-725-3103 or email .
Presented by Brent Stenberg