Reading the Bible is essential for developing intimacy with God. Below are a few resources to help develop a rhythm of personal worship through God's Word.
Yearly Reading Plans:
- Robert Murray M'Cheyne
1 yr. OT & NT (twice), Psalms (twice) Download pdf
- Straight Through the Bible
1 yr. Genesis to Revelation in order Download pdf
- Chronological Order
1 yr. Through the Bible Chronologically Download pdf
Online Plan Resources
There are a number of great resources to help with online reading plans. If you'd like to customize your plan so it's heavier in one area or another, bibleplan.org offers loads of options and will email you your readings daily. For all the technology options, ESV.org offers many tools and reading plans available by email, podcast, and iCal format.
YouVersion for Mobile Devices
YouVersion provides a website for Bible reading as well as applications for the iPhone, Blackberry, Android, and other smartphone platforms. YouVersion has integrated features for assisting with daily reading plans. For more information visit youversion.com
Book of Common Prayer (BCP)
The Book of Common Prayer gives a Psalm for both morning and evening, OT, NT, and a Gospel reading each day. The BCP daily office is a two year cycle, each cycle beginning in the season of Advent. One neat thing about the BCP is that it means Christians all over the world are reading the same Scriptures together. For more information visit bcponline.org and click on the Daily Office Lectionary.
Some helpful online resources with interesting articles on prayer:
- Prayer & devotion articles at monergism.com
- Prayer series of articles at TheResurgence.com
- Prayer articles at Third Millenium
Hymns and Spiritual Songs
The Trinity Hymnal Online
The Trinity Hymnal is what you’ll find in the pews at Second. This online resource is great for finding a hymn by title, lyric, or first line and also provides a sound file for the tune. This resource is provided by the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC).
The RUF Hymnbook
If you’re a guitar player, Reformed University Fellowship has put together an online hymnal containing both traditional and new arrangements of many beloved hymns. This is a great resource for sing-along worship for your family, small group, or CC.
New City Catechism
A joint adult and children's catechism consisting of 52 questions and answers adapted by Timothy Keller and Sam Shammas from the Reformation catechisms.
Westminster Shorter Catechism in 90 Days
This free application for iPhone & iPad is a great tool for learning the WSC.
- Fighter Verses - Desiring God Ministries
- Topical Memory System - Navpress
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life - Donald Whitney
- Face to Face, Vol. 1 - Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship - Kenneth Boa
- Face to Face, Vol. 2 - Praying the Scriptures for Spiritual Growth - Kenneth Boa
- Disciplines of a Godly Man - R. Kent Hughes
- Disciplines of a Godly Woman - Barbara Hughes
- Celebration of Discipline - Richard Foster
- Read Aloud Bible Stories (4 volumes) - Ella K. Lindvall
- The Jesus Story Book Bible - Sally Lloyd-Jones
- Big Truths for Little Kids - Susan Hunt and Richie Hunt
- Little Visits (3 volumes)
- Family Devotions (2 volumes) - Josh McDowell
- The Family Worship Book - Terry L. Johnson
- Praying with the Psalms - Eugene Peterson
- Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
- Pray with Your Eyes Open - Richard Pratt
- The Heart of Prayer - Jerram Barrs
A Heart for God Sermon Series
In January 2010 Sandy Willson taught a series on Christian devotion which includes personal worship, family worship, and corporate prayer. The companion booklet for this series can be downloaded here (PDF).
Listen to A Heart for God series on Christian devotion: