Small group life at Second is a great way to find a community of friends, engage in Gospel-centered relationships, study and discern God’s direction in our lives, and pray together.
If you aren’t in a group, we encourage you to get involved, and there are several ways to get started. You can find a group through your Sunday Morning CC or get involved through a Women in Ministry or AMEN Bible Study small group. Or, feel free to start a group of your own.
Looking for the small group notes?
You’ll find the Sunday morning sermon featured on the home page each week. Click the Download Study Notes link for the latest sermon. You can also find notes for sermons in the audio library area. If you have any questions about small groups at Second, email .
Recommended Resource Materials
Below is a list of recommended curriculum for small groups.
The Christian Basics curriculum was created as a companion to a 33-week sermon series preached at Second Presbyterian Church. Each lesson consists of sermon audio and a worksheet for small group discussion.
Redeemer Presbyterian Church (Tim Keller)
These studies are available online. Reviewable samples are available.
- 2 Timothy (5 lessons)
- 1 John (7 lessons)
Longer study series are recommended to be broken into series of 10 or less per small group meeting schedule. Available longer series include:
- Galatians: Living In Line with the Truth of the Gospel (13 studies)
- Gospel of Mark (16 studies)
- James: the Gospel in Action (20 studies)
- Genesis: What Were We Put in the World to Do? (Chapters 1-32, in 23 studies)
- Romans (23 studies)
- Judges, Daniel and Joseph: Living in a Pluralistic Society (25 studies)
- Evangelism: Studies in the Book of Acts (29 lessons)
“Source” studies (published by North Point Ministries)
Studies are free and are available to simply download and print out from the website, www.groupcurriculum.org/source.
- Abraham – Genesis 12-25 (6 studies)
- Ruth and Esther (6 studies)
- Jonah/Nahum (6 studies)
- Mission: Acts 13-28 (6 studies)
- Galatians (6 studies)
- James (5 studies)
John Stott Bible Studies (published by IVP Connect)
Bible studies with solid, helpful commentary and study questions for group use.
- Jesus Christ (13 studies)
- The Beatitudes (8 studies)
- Acts (18 studies)
- Romans (20 studies)
- Galatians (12 studies)
- Ephesians (12 studies)
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians (10 studies)
- 1 Timothy and Titus (12 studies)
- 2 Timothy (8 studies)
- Revelation (12 studies)
A Walk Thru the Book Of... (published by Baker Books)
These are straightforward studies through Bible books, with excellent background helps, and discussion and application questions.
Materials listed are books, listed by name and author
(Study Guides available as noted).
- The Cross of Christ, John Stott
- The Christ-Centered Life, CJ Mahaney
- The Prodigal God, Timothy Keller (SG)
- The Gospel for Real Life, Jerry Bridges
- What Is The Gospel? Greg Gilbert
- Crazy Love, Francis Chan
- True Spirituality, Francis Schaeffer
- The Christian Life, Sinclair Ferguson
- The Discipline of Grace, Jerry Bridges
- Growing Your Faith, Jerry Bridges
- Desiring God, John Piper (SG)
- Spiritual Disciplines, Donald Whitney (SG)
- How People Change, T Lane/Paul David Tripp
Exploring Faith (the Basics)
- Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
- Why I Am A Christian, John Stott
- Christian Basics, John Stott
- Evangelical Truth, John Stott
- Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them, John Ortberg
- The Case for Christ, Lee Strobel
- Basic Christianity, John Stott
- King’s Cross, Timothy Keller
- The Jesus I Never Knew, Philip Yancey (SG)
- Knowing God, J.I. Packer (SG)
- The Doctrines of Grace, J M Boice, Philip Ryken
- The Holiness of God, R.C. Sproul
- Faith Alone, R.C. Sproul
- The Reason for God, Timothy Keller
- Jesus Among Other Gods, Ravi Zacharias
- The Case for Christ, Lee Strobel
- Sacred Marriage, Gary Thomas (SG)
- Love and Respect, Emerson Eggerichs
- The 5 Love Languages, Gary Chapman
- What Did You Expect? Paul David Tripp