Becoming A Member
We are delighted that you have been worshiping with us at Second Presbyterian Church and are interested in becoming a member.
The Session of Second Presbyterian has determined that the following steps be taken for membership:
Complete a Membership Application form.
Participate in a membership interview.
Stand for public affirmation of membership vows.
Attendance at the Inquirers Class does not obligate you to pursue church membership. However, attendance at all sessions of the class is required for those wanting to pursue membership. Registration for the class is required.
The membership application is offered at the Inquirers class. Completed forms should be returned to the Inquirers office at the close of the Inquirers weekend. No steps are taken to notify your former church or to schedule the membership interview until this application has been submitted.
The membership dinner and interview is a great time for both fellowship and questions. Each male inquirer is paired with an elder and a male deacon. Women are interviewed by an elder along with a female deacon or shepherdess. First, you will enjoy dinner seated next to the two who will interview you. Then, you will have a casual time of conversation when you will be asked to share about how the Lord has led you. They will also answer your questions about the Christian faith, the membership vows and/or our church. Information will be shared with the goal of helping you find a Congregational Community as well as a place of service.
Each inquirer will stand with their class before the congregation and affirm their membership vows. This will take place at the 11:00am service on the date to be given in your class. You will be considered a member of Second when the vows have been recited publicly.
You will be asked to affirm these vows:
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God and without hope for your salvation except in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and depend upon Him alone for your salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now promise and resolve, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to serve Christ in His church by supporting and participating with this congregation in its service of God and its ministry to others to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and to the spiritual oversight of this church session, and do you promise to promote the unity, purity, and peace of the Church?