Becoming A Member
We are delighted that you have been worshiping with us at Second Presbyterian Church and are interested in becoming a member. The first step is to attend our membership class called Inquirers.
Inquirers is designed to answer your questions about the Christian faith, introduce you to Second and our ministries, and inform you as to avenues of service within the church and the greater Memphis community. Should you choose to pursue membership upon completion of the class, you will be asked to stand for vows during a Sunday morning worship service. The Session of Second Presbyterian has determined that the following steps shall be taken for membership:
Complete a Membership Application form
Participate in an elder interview
Stand for public affirmation of membership vows.
Inquirers is held three times a year (February, June, and October) and involves three teaching sessions along with a Q&A session with Sandy Willson. You may also register for an optional lunch and facilities tour which follows the Saturday teaching session. For those pursuing membership, you will need to attend a final elder interview and dinner held during a regular officers’ meeting. Childcare is available for all sessions for children 5 and under. You are not obligated to join Second upon completion of the class; however, the class is required for church membership. For more information, contact the Inquirers Office at 454-0034, ext. 172 or email .
The application is available in the Inquirers manual and should be returned to the Inquirers Class Office upon completion of the class. No steps are taken to notify your former church or to schedule an elder interview until this application has been submitted.
The Elder Dinner and Interview is a wonderful two-fold opportunity for you, should you decide to pursue membership. First, you will enjoy warm fellowship with the officers of the church over a catered dinner in the Fellowship Hall. Secondly, each inquirer will have a casual time of conversation with an elder/deacon pairing, where you will have the opportunity to share what God is doing in your life. For women, there is an option for an elder/shepherdess pairing. This pair is also available to answer any lingering questions and help guide and mentor you as you weave into the fabric of Second.
After this portion of the class, your home church is contacted, should you have one.
Each class will stand together before the congregation and assume their membership vows. This will take place at the 11:00 service on a Sunday morning (the specific date will be given in your class).
Even though a person attends Inquirers and has been interviewed by our elders, he/she is not considered a member of Second until the membership vows have been affirmed publicly.
Members of Second Presbyterian affirm these vows:
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God and without hope for your salvation except in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and depend upon Him alone for your salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now promise and resolve, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to serve Christ in His church by supporting and participating with this congregation in its service of God and its ministry to others to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and to the spiritual oversight of this church session, and do you promise to promote the unity, purity, and peace of the Church?