We are delighted that you have been worshiping with us at Second Presbyterian Church and are interested in becoming a member.
The Session of Second Presbyterian has determined that the following steps be taken for membership:
Attend all sessions of the Inquirers class
Complete a Membership Application form
Participate in a membership interview
Stand for public affirmation of membership vows
Adult Inquirers Class
January 28–29, 2022
April 29–30, 2022
Second hosts Inquirers three times a year. Each class involves two days of teaching sessions (Friday evening and Saturday morning). Attendance at the Inquirers Class does not obligate you to pursue church membership. However, attendance at both sessions of the class is required for those wanting to pursue membership. Registration for the class is required; childcare is not provided.
Questions? Contact Carol Overcast in the Inquirers office at (901) 454-0034, ext. 172 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that a Youth Inquirers Class is held once a year in January for youth in grades 8 through 12. If your child is interested, they may get additional information about the class and registration from their youth leader.
The membership application is offered at the Inquirers class. Completed forms should be returned to the Inquirers Coordinator at the close of the Inquirers weekend. No steps are taken to notify your former church or to schedule the membership interview until this application has been submitted.
The membership dinner and interview is a great time for both fellowship and questions. First, you will enjoy dinner seated next to the two who will meet with you. Then, you will have a casual time of conversation when you will be asked to talk about your spiritual journey. You will also have time to ask questions about the Christian faith, membership vows and/or our church. Information will be shared with the goal of helping you find a Congregational Community as well as a place of service.
Each inquirer will stand with their class before the congregation and affirm their membership vows. This will take place at the evening service on the date to be given in your class. You will be considered a member of Second when the vows have been recited publicly.
You will be asked to affirm these vows:
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God and without hope for your salvation except in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and depend upon Him alone for your salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now promise and resolve, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to serve Christ in His church by supporting and participating with this congregation in its service of God and its ministry to others to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church and to the spiritual oversight of this church session, and do you promise to promote the unity, purity, and peace of the Church?