Sunday school & Family Curriculum
During the 2020-21 school year, all students (ages JK to Sr. High) will study "Who Is Jesus," during Sunday School. This study is a curriculum developed by former Second staff member Andrew Keasling that introduces parents to the lessons being taught in Sunday School and includes two days of family devotions, based on the content covered at church. Download the book here.
The Westminster Shorter Catechism
Teaching the catechism to your children is an important part of their spiritual development, because the catechism breaks down the truths from Scripture into questions that make it understandable. These questions are also used in our worship service and make a great family devotion discussion.
Below are the first 10 questions to get you started. There are 107 in total. There are many resources available but some of our favorites are: The Westminster Shorter Catechism by G.I. Williamson; Catechizing our Children by Terry L. Johnson; Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on Shorter Catechism by Starr Meade; and Westminster Shorter Catechism for Kids (workbook) by Caroline Weerstra.
First 10 Questions (a great place to start)
- What is man's primary purpose? Man's primary purpose is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
- What authority from God directs us how to glorify and enjoy Him? The only authority for glorifying and enjoying Him is the Bible, which is the word of God and is made up of the Old and New Testaments.
- What does the Bible primarily teach? The Bible primarily teaches what man must believe about God and what God requires of man.
- What is God? God is a spirit, Whose being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth are infinite, eternal, and unchangeable.
- Is there more than one God? There is only one, the living and true God.
- How many persons are in the one God? Three persons are in the one God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. These three are one God, the same in substance and equal in power and glory.
- What are the decrees of God? The decrees of God are his eternal plan, based on the purpose of His will, by which, for His own glory, He has foreordained everything that happens.
- How does God carry out His decrees? God carries out His decrees in creation and providence.
- What is creation? Creation is God's making everything out of nothing by His powerful word in six days - and all very good.
- How did God create man? God created man, male and female, in His own image and in knowledge, righteousness, and holiness, to rule over the other creatures.